Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Went to give blood, but nothing came out

After two months with not being called since I was told I was a potential bone marrow match, I was free to go and give blood again so made an appointment to donate on Friday.

Both Liz and I believe in the benefits of giving blood, as did my father, and this was to be my 57th donation. After so many donations I still admit to not liking having the needle being put in but I do have a local anesthetic now which makes it much more comfortable than without.

Unfortunately for the first time ever when they put the needle in, a bit of blood came out, and then it stopped. The nurse wiggled the needle left, right, up and down, and still only a trickle of blood came out. So that was that, I was declared a 'no bleed', a plaster was put on and that was the end of my donation. I asked if they could try the other arm but they wouldn't (not quite sure why) so it was tea and biscuits time and then back home - somewhat disappointed.

I'm none the wiser as to why the blood didn't come out; can only assume that the needle got blocked or something. So donation #57 didn't happen and I'm no nearer getting my 75th donation award which is a crystal plate (I received my certificate and pen for 50 donations a couple of years ago).


Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home