Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Monday, July 28, 2014

Cornish culture, the pasty in Brittany

In all the years we have been visiting France and our Brittany Gite in particular we've noticed that despite Europeanisation there are still some definite food cultural differences.

Take the Cornish Pasty for one. It just doesn't seem to exist across the Dover straits.

I'm not exactly obsessed with the Cornish Pasty as a must-eat item, but I do quite like them, and I've noticed that whilst the British supermarket always stocks a reasonable range of pasties, pies, sausage rolls, etc, there just doesn't work seem to be any French equivalents.

When we're working on renovating the Gite a Cornish Pasty, a pork pie or a sausage roll comes in handy as a quick snack food, but since you just can't buy them abroad we end up taking some in the chiller box with us when we go.

But I've just read that an enterprising Cornish company is sending 6000 of the humble pasties across the border to the annual festival intercultural in Lorient.

With so many pasties going they must be a popular item but I wonder what the French really think of such English food?
Unfortunately I'm not going to the festival so I'll have to continue my personal export activity on my next trip.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home