Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Monday, June 16, 2008

Mont St Michel - a 'new corner of the internet'

If you've been reading this Blog for a while and following some of the stories of our French holiday home website, you may have spotted that there are several "loose end" bits and pieces whereby I've started a project and then never quite managed to get around to finishing it.

Looking in my "draft Blog postings" I can see I've some 56 entries for the Blog that at one stage or another I've started writing about something and then never finished it, and in my "unwritten website pages" directory there's some 29 new pages for the website that again have never been completed. If truth be told some of these are probably more in the "never really started" category rather than the "never quite finished" category.

All this is I feel a bit at odds to my personality as according to all the times I've ever completed the questionnaire to determine my Belbin team role I've always come out as a 'Completer-Finisher' rather than a 'Plant' so I should be good at working through the detail of problems and finishing things off, but I suppose lack of time is a major contributor to this state of affairs ...

... but I digress slightly (OK I digress lots)

Over the last few weeks of working away from home and staying overnight in hotel rooms I've actually managed to find enough time to finish off one of a new page of the Gite website and finally pushed the button to publish it onto the Internet last week - the UNESCO world heritage site, Mont St Michel which is just over an hour's drive from our holiday Gite.

I've been to Mont St Michel four times now, and we've taken the family on two separate occasions, and on every visit you can't help but be amazed as you drive over the kilometre-long causeway that links the island to the mainland by the towering monastery that sits on top of the pinnacle of rock.

Built over the last 10 centuries it's hard to imagine the amount of physical labour that must have been required to haul the massive blocks from the mainland, across the sea (the causeway is a relatively new construction) and up the top of the natural rocky outcrop to build the church, monastery and town that's now a popular tourist attraction.

Inside the defensive walls and among the winding narrow streets there's plenty of tourist outlets, four museums, a couple of hotels, and of course the obligatory fine restaurants overlooking the impressive view over the Bay of St Michael. Once you climb to the top there's a fascinating tour of the 12th Century abbey and monastery with both written and audio tours available throughout the year.

So there we are, details of a new french holiday attraction on our website and one less "to-do" on my ever-increasing list!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home