Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Friday, June 08, 2007

Lucky lucky me - I've won the lottery (or is that the not-likely-ery ?)

Junk mail
In amongst the mountain of 465 odd emails that I received whilst being away (from which my fave Thunderbird email client helpfully managed to categorise 363 as being spam straight away, leaving me 'only' 100 to wade through) I discovered that I had won the "Yahoo/Msn Lottery Incorperation" (sic - their typo, not mine).

Apparently "Yahoo/MSN and Microsoft Windows collect all the email addresses of the people that are active online" (gosh, sounds a bit big brother to me) and select 5 winners each month, and I'm one of them!!

All I have to do to claim my £900,000 prize is give my name, age, address, sex, next of kin, zip code, occupation, state, nationality and shoe size.

OK I admit it, I lied, they didn't want my shoe size, just all the other stuff and my telephone number and employer.

But wait .... another email .... I've also won the Yahoo! Mail lottery as well, but this time I only picked up £800,000 (I guess Microsoft must subsidise the Yahoo/MSN Lottery a bit more than just Yahoo on their own).

However for this one I don't need to supply anywhere near as much personal information so it must be genuine.

And there's more, I've just found a third email telling me I've £891,934 on the Camelot UK National Lottery. Camelot convincingly have their address at the top of the email and have helpfully enclosed a little form for me to fill in and return.

They do say though to "Be advice to keep your winning information confidential until your claims has been processed and our money remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program" so I'm not going to tell you my winning numbers or else you might claim them for yourselves.

They say that good things happen in threes, what are the odds of winning three lotteries in one week ?

Now what shall I spend all my winnings on .....

(Cynic mode off: You'd think that these spammers would learn to be smarter in their spam rubbish and not send the same, or nearly the same, emails out in short succession. Kinda gives the game away, even to the most unobservant recipient).

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • HI,

    I believe this can happen, if you have an offer for me than just contact me. I cannot find anything with google is this all secret?
    Please make me lucky add my msn garikw@hotmail.com

    See ya,

    Haik Wartanjan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 03, 2007  

Post a Comment



<< Home