Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Caught out by Spam comment (for once)

Blogger logo
Over an average week I get two or three Spam comments on this blog, and pretty universally they are obvious for what they are - sometimes random words with embedded links in them, text often with poor English, or more recently they've been along the lines of "this is a really interesting article, your Blog has really inspired me".

Fortunately I am impressed by the Google spam comment filter which almost never mis-categorises a genuine Blog comment as spam, but conversely seems to always correctly identify the rubbish and remove it from the Blog so that all dear readers don't have to wade through it and we're just left with genuine Blog comments.

Of course I always have the administrator option to change Google's idea of what comments are spam or not, so I try to keep in the habit of marking Spam comments myself which I hope continues to "train" Google as to what is good and what is not.

But today I have to admit that I was fooled by the comment I received on the Blog and thought it was genuine.

Here it is:
Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Ie, it looks fine
but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, great blog!
Feel free to visit my homepage ... mens wellington boots

(I've removed the link that was on the wellington boot text)

Well sad to say I did actually go and check the Blog looked OK in Internet Explorer (and it does) before I realised that this was yet another bit of Spam ... and Google had correctly categorised it before I'd had chance to do so.

Nice try Mr Spammer but even if I'm more easily fooled, Google is just one step ahead of you!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home