Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Monday, March 15, 2010

Tomato growing on a massive scale in Brittany

Vine tomatos
I'll say it now, I know very little about growing tomatoes other than they need a lot of water.

But it seems that our Breton cousins know a lot more about tomato growing than I do.

I just came across an article about how Brittany tomato growers are now starting to sell electricity as a by-product of generating heat to grow the greenhouse tomatoes. And it seems as if they chew through an awful lot of heat with one Brittany farm consuming 500 cubic metres of gas an hour to heat 41,000 square metres of greenhouses!

Well I never knew that there were so many tomatoes grown in Brittany.

You learn something new every day ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home