Running a French Holiday Gite in Rural Brittany

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Building new gate panels

After having to rush around rebuilding a driveway gate on our holiday home last time I was over, I spent some time today constructing some new upright panels for the other gates as I noticed there were a few on their way out and rotting through as well.

It's a lot easier if I get ahead of myself and make things like this in the UK as I can be sure I'm buying the right wood (no hunting through my French phrase book for 'pressure treated timber') and I can get all the painting done with less of a rush.

I also believe that UK paint is of much better quality than French paint even though many of the manufacturers (Dulux, etc) are the same. Whereas we can buy gloss, eggshell, matt, interior or exterior paint, kitchen and bathroom, etc, our continental cousins seem to only have gloss, flat matt or micro-porous - paint is also incredibly expensive in France, maybe twice the UK price?

Anyway, cut and shaped 9 new upright fence pieces today and then primed and undercoated them. Just as soon as I'd finished it started raining so they'll need repainting - just typical.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home